MommaSaysToRead

Momma Says to Read

Keep You Close

Keep You Close - Karen Cleveland

What would you do and how far would go to protect your child? Keep You Close starts with that question, then it bends and twists it until I'm not sure what the right answer should be. The book is very action driven, which does keep the pages turning, but I found it hard to connect with the characters. I was hoping to warm up to Stephanie as more and more of her past was revealed, but I never quite got there. I could certainly empathize with her, but the character was a bit flat, as were all of the characters in this one. As the story progressed, the conspiracies got more complicated and convoluted, and it felt like character development was put on a back burner to make room for twist after crazy twist. All of that may have been okay if not for the lack of conclusion. I kept reading to see which way things would go and granted, there is a big twist, but it felt like the story stopped before it was meant to. I thoroughly enjoyed Cleveland's first novel, so maybe my disappointment comes from high expectations, but this one didn't come close for me. Nevertheless, the author is talented, and I'll be interested to see what she does next.