MommaSaysToRead

Momma Says to Read

Consumed

Consumed - J.R. Ward

The opening chapters of Consumed had me hooked. The book opens right in the thick of things with a fire, danger, and life-altering decisions. I was all set to settle in and be thoroughly engrossed in the story, and I was for a while. However, by about half way through, it felt like the story was rambling, and I was wondering where it was going. I was actually pretty tempted to start skimming, but past experience with this author made me stick with it. The story does have some terrific characters and there are some edge of your seat scenes as this group of firefighters work to save lives, but Anne's chase of a deadly killer that is promised in the blurb kind of stuttered to a start with trickles of info here and there. Once Anne becomes a target, the story had the potential to ramp up with some truly creepy stalker-type things happening, but even that was a bit disappointing. The romance between Anne and Danny kind of felt the same way. They can't keep their hands off each other one minute, then they aren't even speaking the next. I expected some angst in the romance, but Anne's hot and cold wore thin. I finally did make it to the conclusion, but it felt like everything came together in a rush. In the end, there were things I liked and things I didn't, leaving me in the middle of the road on this one. I did like several of the characters, so I'm undecided on whether or not I'll continue with this series.