MommaSaysToRead

Momma Says to Read

The Other Woman

The Other Woman - Sandie Jones

This one had me in its clutches the whole way. Right up until the ending. The storyline isn't anything I haven't seen before, but Jones kept it interesting. Emily is in a relationship with Adam, who appears to be a momma's boy. Adam's mother, Pammie, is controlling and conniving to the extreme and Emily gets the brunt of it. While I did feel for Emily's circumstances, I didn't care much for our heroine. Granted, Emily has never been in this type of situation, so she struggles to deal with it all, but she comes across as whiny a lot of the time. The more I read, the more I wanted to shake some sense into her and tell her to stand up for herself. That aside, the author does an excellent job with building the tension and it is a compelling read. Some things stretch the believability scale, but I kept turning those pages to see what devious thing Pammie would do next and waiting for her to get caught up in her mess. In fact, the story was riveting and I was prepared to sing its praises, until the big twist at the end. I expected part of it - a small part of it, but I have to say I was pretty disappointed with the conclusion. I love twisty stories, but this twist made little sense to me. Too many things just didn't add up. To give details would also give spoilers, so I'll just sum it up with this was a well-plotted and gripping story that let me down in the end.