MommaSaysToRead

Momma Says to Read

Baby Teeth

Baby Teeth - Zoje Stage

Baby Teeth is as disturbing as disturbing gets. For me, there's nothing scarier than a creepy child, and they don't get much creepier than Hannah. She's absolutely diabolical. I'll admit that I did have a problem with Hannah's young age and the things she's able to accomplish, but given her intelligence combined with access to the internet, it's not as big a stretch once I gave it some thought. The thing that got me was even though Hannah's planning and conniving seemed beyond her years, she still had that childlike innocence in terms of the details when carrying out those plans and the consequences. With parents who are ill-equipped to handle a child so manipulative, not that any parent would be prepared for this child, it's not hard to see where this one is heading and I found it impossible to put down as Hannah's actions escalate. We do have an open ending, which is as chilling as the rest of the book, and I'll be interested to see if there's a sequel. I believe this is one of those books with little middle ground in terms of opinion. You'll either love it or you'll hate it, and I am firmly in the love it camp. With this debut, Stage has proven, to this reader at least, that she knows her stuff when it comes to building tension and creating a dark, twisted, and even sinister tale.