MommaSaysToRead

Momma Says to Read

Hangman

Hangman - Jack Heath

Sometimes it takes a warped mind to solve a crime, especially one that's steeped with other crimes, and Timothy Blake is as warped as they come. He's also absolutely brilliant at solving puzzles, noticing the little things that add up to bigger things, and he's used that talent to work out the perfect arrangement for himself. When Tim's secret is revealed, I'll admit that it was way worse than anything I was imagining. I won't go into the details, but I will say that from that point on, this is not a book for the squeamish. The ick factor is through the roof and I almost put it down more than once on that element alone. There's also the level of suspension of disbelief required for Timothy's story. I get it, it's fiction and a certain amount of leeway must be given for some stories to work, but this one requires quite a lot of that. Timothy's secret is quite shocking and just the number of people involved is enough for doubt that it could've happened at all, much less for that long. Here's the thing, though, in spite of the gory details, and there are several, and even with the highly doubtful circumstances, I kept turning those pages. Twist after crazy twist, one cringe-worthy moment after another, the complete crazy that is Timothy Blake kept me reading to see how it would all play out. Then, as if that's not enough, the jaw-dropping conclusion kept me awake and pondering for some time. So, over the top or not, Hangman is a wonderfully written, fast-paced, and riveting bit of absolutely insane from start to finish.