MommaSaysToRead

Momma Says to Read

Do This For Me

Do This For Me - Eliza Kennedy

The story line for Do This For Me started off quite good. Raney finds out that her husband is cheating and sets a course for revenge by hitting him where it hurts - his professional life. The way she went about it and the people she involved in that revenge was on the unbelievable side, but it did make for some amusing reading and at that point, I considered her very much the heroine and was fully in her corner. However, I found myself slipping further and further away from that corner as the story progressed. Raney slips way past the line of figuring out the whys of it all while I can appreciate the just learn to live and enjoy life, she takes it to a level that I just couldn't get behind.
The story moves at a fast pace and I enjoy the writing style - mostly. Several time throughout the story, it felt like I was reading a journal entry. Raney is a list maker, I get it. But the exact time she arrived at work, the many times she checked her email and deleted x amount, etc. became tedious and didn't add anything to the story for me. It came across as more telling than showing and really only served to pull me out of the story.
I did keep reading in hopes that Raney would learn something from her antics and find a happy medium, but in the end, I'm not sure she learned anything. There are some chuckle worthy moments and the story does get emotional, but once my opinion of Raney changed, I found her increasingly unlikable and less heroine-like as I continued to read. By the end of the book, I can't say that I particularly liked any of the characters and for me, the conclusion to this one was lackluster at best.
To sum it up, this one was easily a four-star read in the beginning, but by the end, I was somewhere around two. So, I split the difference with three.