MommaSaysToRead

Momma Says to Read

To be continued...

The Crooked Staircase - Dean Koontz

I enjoyed the first two Jane Hawk novels, and was looking forward to this one. Given the length and blurb for this one, along with the way book 2 ended, I thought we would finally get some resolution to Jane's quest for justice. Sadly, that didn't happen. Instead, I now have more questions without answers.
The premise for Jane's story is quite terrifying. The very idea that people could be controlled to the point of suicide, plus the many other ways that the technology is used is more spine-tingling than any of the things that go bump in the night. The problem is that this one seemed to be an almost watered down version compared to the first two books in the series. The edge of your seat tension that was so prevalent in book 2 was missing here. In addition to that we get Jane, who was quite the heroine in beginning but becomes rather unbelievable in this third book in the series. She seems to know everything about everything and borders on invincible.
The story becomes drawn out with overly descriptive prose that sometimes seems to go nowhere. I'm all for setting a scene and painting a picture for the reader, but Koontz went a bit over the top with it here. At a certain point, it began to feel like so much filler and it became more distraction than anything else. We do get some gripping story and even some action in between those descriptions, but in the end, this one was just too easy to set aside. Dean Koontz has proven himself a master at nail-biting suspense, but I didn't find much of that this time around.
To sum it up, I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either, and given the time I've vested in Jane Hawk's story, I will read the next book, which hopefully is more story than filler and brings some resolution.