MommaSaysToRead

Momma Says to Read

The Echo Killing

The Echo Killing - Christi Daugherty

This one took me a bit to get into as the introduction of characters and setting felt a bit slow in the beginning. However, once the story picked up, it made for an interesting read. The book is well-written and the characters are a good mix of likable and not so likable, which is to be expected in a crime mystery. I have to say that Harper frustrated me at times in her dogged determination to find answers regardless of the cost - often jeopardizing not only her own safety and career, but that of others. Nevertheless, I couldn't help but to root for her as she worked to find answers to a brutal murder as well as answers to her own troubled past. The whodunit in this one wasn't hard to figure out, especially with a couple of red herrings being a bit on the obvious side, but the journey kept me turning pages to see if I was right and how it would all play out. The conclusion comes together quite well and there are a couple of unanswered questions that I'm assuming will be addressed in a future book. I did like that our heroine isn't perfect and her personal life isn't all sunshine and roses as so often happens in fiction today. Life is messy and the reality of those messes in Harper's life adds to the realistic emotional feel of the story. All in all, this crime mystery is worth the read and the questions raised at the end have me sufficiently intrigued to check out a future Harper McClain book.