MommaSaysToRead

Momma Says to Read

Compelling read

Losing Cadence - Laura Lovett

3.5 stars
While the pacing in this one was a bit slow for my tastes, the author does a write a compelling story. The flashbacks to Richard and Cadence's past are done quite well and add some extra insight into the romance that started it all. The biggest drawback for me was that too many things were so over the top as to be unbelievable. Richard is certifiable to say the least and the lengths he has gone to in carrying out his plan are absolutely spine-tingling. My problem lay with the number of people involved in his plan. I find it hard to believe anyone could find that many people who are gullible enough for his plan to work as long as it did. That said, the story did pull me in and I was invested enough that I wanted to see how it all played out. There's an interesting balance between Cadence's terror and when she learns to play on Richard's obsession. I was also intrigued by Cadence's feelings during her ordeal. The back and forth between fear and contempt for Richard to feeling pity for him, almost but not quite to the point of Stockholm Syndrome, showed good depth of the character. The pace picks up considerably for the conclusion and it does tie up a few things, but there are some unanswered questions and I'm interested enough in these characters to see how that one goes.