MommaSaysToRead

Momma Says to Read

Medieval Fantasy

Dreadmarrow Thief (The Conjurer Fellstone Book 1) - Marjory Kaptanoglu

While I admittedly don't read a ton in the Fantasy/Adventure genre, I do love medieval settings filled with magic and mayhem. Dreadmarrow Thief has plenty of both with magical amulets, a wicked conjurer living in a dark castle, and a quest that seems doomed to fail. The story is told from the perspectives of Tessa, Ash, and Calder - three people whose lives are intertwined by secrets both past and present. As the story progresses and secrets are revealed, the action ramps up for this trio and main character, Tessa, learns more than she bargained for.

The characters are interesting and the premise is a good one, especially for those that enjoy reading about medieval quests and magic. I did find the writing style to be more telling than showing, which tends to keep the reader on the outside looking in, and the point of view switches from first to third person were an added distraction. Other than that, the book does introduce an exciting world and is a promising lead-in to the series.