MommaSaysToRead

Momma Says to Read

Compelling start to the series

A Fool's Journey: Book I, The Magician - Mark Pannebecker

I've developed a liking for continuing stories delivered in short bursts. They're perfect for a quick read at lunch or bedtime, especially when they grab a reader's interest quickly. The Magician is a great example of that. Not knowing a lot about the tarot, I wasn't sure how well I'd like this one, but that wasn't a problem. I was quickly caught up in Ben's story as enters the coming of age journey. I think we've all been in a place in our lives where we felt the need to fit in and the urge to give in to peer pressure. Pannebecker has a writing style that is quite compelling as he sets the stage for Ben's life lessons as he travels the road into early adulthood. I was surprised at how taken I was with what started as a teenager's fascination with a motorcycle gang and the path that our character is led down because of that fascination. Of course, like any good serial should do, this one left me intrigued and wanting more of this intense and promising story.