MommaSaysToRead

Momma Says to Read

Suspension of belief?

His Virgin Payback: A Billionaire & Virgin Romance - Virginia Sexton

This one as it wasn't at all what I expected. I expected steam and I got that, but the huge suspension of belief required for the story wasn't something I anticipated. After the eye-rolling prologue, maybe I should've seen it coming, but I kept reading. At the start of the story, Jacob comes across as arrogant and selfish, with little regard for anyone else, so for him to willingly sacrifice himself for others would be contrary to that. Then, years later, when he goes after Lily out of revenge, she jumps at the chance to go out with the man she thinks betrayed her father. Lily is innocent as far as relationships and intimacy are concerned, but her father is all she has and it appears that they are close in the beginning, so I can't fathom a situation where a supposedly intelligent young woman would so easily accept any kind of invitation from Jacob, let alone a date. Then, to add insult to injury, when everything comes out, Jacob has no clue what was going on with his partner and mentor during the time of said betrayal? I realize that it's fiction, but it has to make sense for the world that it is set in.  The story is novella length, so maybe a bit more fleshing out of the story would've helped, but there are just too many things that don't work here.

If you like steam without much substance, then you may enjoy this one more than I did.