MommaSaysToRead

Momma Says to Read

Meandering

The Space Between Words - Michele Phoenix

The Space Between Words is really the story of two women, Jessica and Adeline, and the tragedies they faced in their respective times. While both stories are interesting in their own right, I found the bouncing back and forth to be a bit distracting. Add Jessica's flashbacks of surviving the Paris attacks along with an almost separate story of her resistance to romantic relationships and the story becomes quite busy. The story has a good premise and the characters are very well developed, but with so much going on, I found it hard to stay focused. The author seems to be making a comparison between the Huguenot persecution and the Paris attacks, but I failed to see the connection, other than the fact that both women faced extreme circumstances. I actually laid this one aside several times and came back to it, determined to finish and see where Jessica's journey would lead and I suppose the book does have a fitting ending, but it felt like it took a meandering route to get there.