MommaSaysToRead

Momma Says to Read

Slow Pace

The Art of Hiding - Amanda Prowse

The Art of Hiding started out interesting enough. The author has a good writing style and the story flows well in the beginning. Nina's loss is truly heartbreaking and then she's blindsided by circumstances that were kept hidden from her. When I read the blurb, I did have a slightly different idea of what this story would be about and that assumption was my own fault. That, in itself, wouldn't have bothered me. What did bother me was the way the story started to lag about a quarter of the way through. We're told, repeatedly, that Nina grew up poor, so I didn't quite get her naiveté when it came to money matters. We don't really get much about Finn, other than a few memories and the fact that he kept problems hidden from Nina. From what is told, I got the impression of someone who was a little controlling and wanted to keep the "little wife" at home. Once the pace of the story slowed down, it started to lose me and most of the book was pretty depressing. While I can understand and sympathize with Nina's circumstances, she drones on and on about the same things and starts to come across as whiny. That, combined with the slow pace, left me feeling a little ambivalent about how this one played out.