MommaSaysToRead

Momma Says to Read

Nail Biter

The Red Rider - Randall Allen Dunn

We all know the story of Little Red Riding Hood, but this dark tale paints Red in a new light. Helena has every reason to hide in a corner and never go outside again. Instead, she's tough and determined, even as a child, and becomes even more so as she moves toward adulthood.
As I've come to expect from this author, The Red Rider is packed full of heart racing, edge of your seat action. But, it's so much more than that. The story is quite dark and heartbreaking with Helena losing so much, but her fierce determination and bravery in the face of so much loss is inspiring.
This is not a book that's easy to set aside while you get your work done, nor is it one for the faint of heart. The tale is bloody and the author is quite descriptive in the telling of some truly disturbing and gruesome scenes, especially when you consider the people involved and how they affect our heroine. Helena's story is one of heart-wrenching loss, terror, and betrayal, but it's also one of family, loyalty, bravery, and hope. Dunn's talent shines in this thriller with its whiplash inducing twists and nail-biting suspense and action. This is one that I would highly recommend to anyone who enjoys a good heart pounding thriller.