MommaSaysToRead

Momma Says to Read

Suspension of belief required

Single Dad SEAL - Charlize Starr
There's just something sexy about a single dad caring for his child, which is what drew me to this one. Considering the length of this one, I didn't expect a lot of depth. Usually, with a story like this one, I expect to get instalove, lots of steam, and a happily ever after. Well, I suppose I did get those things, but what I didn't expect was the complete suspension of belief that would be required. I get that it's fiction, but the story has to make sense in the world that it's set in and this one went a little too far for me to wrap my head around it - Luke being a Navy Colonel was just one of the things that stuck out for me. If I'm not mistaken, that would be Captain, not Colonel.
I usually enjoy a good bad boy romance, but the thing that draws me to them is the redemption of said bad boy when he finds that one woman who makes him want to be redeemed. I didn't find Luke a likable character from the beginning and him continuing to sleep around for months after Emma left didn't help to endear him to me. Also, the description of Emma from Luke's point of view was, in my opinion, left something to be desired. Keeping in mind that Emma is a big, beautiful woman, Luke sees her naked and stepping out of the shower. While he likes what he sees, the wording used would not lead me to believe it and frankly, I found it a bit offensive and not the least bit sexy.
The steam in this one is certainly hot, but there were just too many other things that I couldn't overlook.